Saturday, February 11, 2017

Spending Time With Grandkids Has a Huge Payoff

Recently, there has been a lot of chatter about the benefits of babysitting grandchildren.  According to recent studies, spending time with grandchildren may prevent Alzheimer’s and lower depression.  Most grandparents who stay with their grandkids while parents are away look at it as a great opportunity to hang out with their adorable little loved ones.  (I like to refer to it as "hanging out" not babysitting.)  Friends of mine who spend time with their grandchildren plan fun activities and outings in lieu of just "watching" them.  Looks like the fun of hanging out with your grandchildren has a significant payoff!  

According to articles I have read, hanging out with your grandchildren increases brain function and memory.  Additionally, the social interaction that grandparents get from grandchildren has such a positive effect on their mental health that it lowers their risk of Alzheimer’s and depression, and may even increase their life span.  I have also read studies that indicate that the closer you are with your grandchildren, feelings of isolation diminish as well as symptoms of depression.   
Although I have only been a grandparent for a month, I can attest to the happiness a grandparent feels when hanging out with grandkids.  Snuggling with your grandchild, reading books to them, doing all of the voices, and laughing at all their funny faces add a pleasant dimension to retired life.  I look forward to developing meaningful relationships with both grandsons as they grow and believe that these relationships benefit both the grandparents, parents, and grandchildren.   

IMHO, the key is consistency.   All parties benefit if grandparents are part of their grandchildren’s lives on a regular basis.  I’m not saying you have to live next door - my parents lived several hours away and wintered in AZ when my kids were growing up and the relationships between them were very close.  One of my new grandsons lives in another state.  I have no doubt that my relationship with him will be close.  With reasonable airfare, FaceTime and Skyping, it’s even easier nowadays to maintain close relationships when there’s distance between the two of you.  

What are you waiting for?  Start planning trips, outings, activities, or just time with your grandkids.  It’s good for your health! 

2 comments:

  1. It's February, but I'm already looking into what's available to do when my granddaughter comes for her 2 month stay in the summer. She lives more than 1,000 miles away, but we see her at least 4 times a year. Since she was four years old, she has come for a summer stay. Our first year, my husband and I admitted we were exhausted by the time she left for home. She is now 11, and we have adjusted over the years, but we're as busy as ever and loving every minute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How nice that you get her for 2 months! I bet you have a great time planning activities!! She must just love it - what great memories you are building!

      Delete