Saturday, April 8, 2017

Retiring Soon? "What Will I Do All Day?"

It’s been almost a year since I took the plunge and started my new life as a retiree.  In conversations with a friend of mine, who is making the move in June, we talk about what retirement has looked like for me and how it might look for her.  Making the decision to retire almost always starts with the all-important question, “What will I do all day?” Of course popular responses such as traveling, reading, time with the grandkids, etc. are easy answers.  We can all imagine what our day looks like when we travel or when the grandkids come over.  But what about those days when we wake up in our own home and we have no set plans for the day?  What does THAT day look like?  Eventually all of our closets will be organized and all of the redecorating will be finished.  Now what? What is your vision of your daily schedule?  

After 35+ years of getting up each morning, going to work and leading a scheduled life, it can be exciting, but also a little scary, to start a new life with no schedule.  Those of us who thrive on a fast-paced, scheduled lifestyle (shout out to all my Type A friends) can feel a lot of uneasiness with our impending retirement.  My dad always said, “I’m not ready for the rocking chair on the front porch yet.”  In other words, his vision was not a relaxed retirement, but more an active one.   A great article I recently read from the 50+ Field Guide Facebook page titled, “Which of These Retirement Paths Will You Follow?” talks about 6 retirement paths people take.  I see myself as the adventurer/searcher with a touch of involved spectator.  My uneasiness was not fear of retirement - it was fear of boredom.  

Immediately following my official retirement date, I established a
new routine based on my goals and personality.  One of my top retirement goals was to focus on healthy lifestyle practices, specifically, physical activity, healthy diet, and plenty of sleep.  Many of us try and maintain a healthy lifestyle while working but end up just “fitting it in” to our busy schedules.  Developing a new daily routine gave me an opportunity to dedicate to my goal full time.  After a nutritional smoothie and a morning workout, I have the rest of the day for hobbies, time with grandkids and friends, or whatever tasks I want or need to complete for the day.  Try and end your day with activities that are aligned with your goals as well.  I like to create healthy recipes for dinner and go for a hike (if the weather cooperates).  


Retired friends will tell you, “I don’t know how I had time to work.”  That statement is not far from the truth - if you choose to have a full calendar, you will.  Start your retirement with a routine that makes you happy and healthy and everything else will fall into place.  

4 comments:

  1. I was one of those people who had a very hard time with retirement. It wasn't for lack of things to do, I never had a problem with that. It was that I just purely missed working. My last 20 years of work included times I had to change jobs several times for various reasons. I certainly did not want the upheaval of finding and starting another job. I eventually found a routine that satisfied me. Some retirees don't want to be routined because that was too much like work, but not me. We have a smallish house, so staying in the house all day was unattractive. I ended up making myself a sewing studio on the sun porch. I have a nice setup there and that's how I spent my afternoons. In the mornings, I do housework chores. I also have several other hobbies and spend a lot of time on them: playing, the piano, word games, coloring, and Netflix. I allow myself Netflix in the evening. Still miss work! Some days, not all days. Today is one of the days I am relieved I don't have to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you have a satisfying routine. I think that spending time outside does make a world of difference - at least it does to me. You have a great set-up on your sun porch! Thanks so much for sharing!

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for the mention of my page, 50+ Field Guide. The article you refer to in your post is a good one that appeared on Next Avenue, one of my favorite resources. Your readers can find it here http://www.nextavenue.org/retirement-paths-will-follow/
    I think all of us have something in mind or something that calls once we retire. Getting started can be a challenge, though. It sounds as though you had a plan and then made it happen, and it's great that you share that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane,
      I do enjoy your page - a lot of great information! I think one thing that helped me was that I made the decision to retire 4 years in advance so I had time to plan and get used to the idea.

      Delete