Saturday, July 29, 2017

Loving Traditions

When my daughter went to kindergarten, my mom started a tradition where she would take her shopping for a back-to-school outfit.  We looked forward to this event every year.  It wasn’t about getting a new outfit - it was about spending the day with my mom, having lunch at my mom’s favorite restaurant, and continuing a tradition that was extended to each and every one of her grandkids.  I love traditions.  My mother loved traditions.  The traditions she created for our family had a profound impact on the memories we created and stories we gathered.  Traditions tell a story about a family - it’s history, events, and experiences.  Focusing our lives around experiences rather than things is a vital ingredient in the recipe for a happy family life.  

Families that establish rituals build stronger relationships with each other and give children a source of identity within the family.  Carrying on the traditions created by my mother allow my grandkids to know the great grandmother they will never meet.  When my brothers and I were children, one of our favorite Christmas traditions was listening to my mother read “The Littlest Angel” on Christmas Eve.  After our baths, we would put on our PJs, put out milk and cookies for Santa, then listen to my mother read this favorite Christmas story before falling asleep in anticipation of Santa.  This magical ritual meant so much to us that we shared it with our children and it became a Christmas tradition for them.  Now this tradition, started by our mother close to 60 years ago, will be carried on to our grandchildren and their great grandmother will become a part of their story.  When children grow up knowing stories about their parents, grandparents, and even great grandparents, it provides them a source of identity that creates a higher degree of self-confidence.  

We have dozens (more like hundreds) of photos of our kids from our many Disney trips from ages 4 to 24.  They can't wait to repeat and share their magical Disney experiences with their children.  Same goes for all of our beach vacations.  This summer, our new grandsons were introduced to the beach to become a part of the tradition of family vacations and start making their own stories.  They will grow up knowing all of the family vacation stories and making some of their own.  They will know that although they live miles away from each other, they will get to spend time with each other on family getaways.  The lasting memories they will make will be priceless.  Many of my friends have been going on multi-generational vacations for years - they have built strong family relationships and have made so many precious memories.  


As new grandparents, it’s so much fun to see our children carry on family traditions to their children - it shows that those traditions meant a lot to them.  My son and his family have adopted our “find the pickle” Christmas tradition and my daughter (now a teacher) and I still honor the “back-to-school” tradition started by my mom.  When my grandsons (and other future grands) are in kindergarten, we will be “back-to-school” shopping.  They will know the story behind this tradition.  They will know another part of their great grandmother.

No comments:

Post a Comment