Thursday, January 26, 2017

Choosing an Attitude of Gratitude

Sometimes life moves so fast that we tend to focus on everything that goes wrong instead of all of the things that are going right.  Retirement allowed me to truly reflect on everything I had to be grateful for.  I felt so extremely grateful that I was able to retire at such a young and healthy age and spend time with my family and friends.  This feeling of gratitude became a constant in my daily life and little by little, I started to see things from a different perspective.  None of us live in a world where everything goes right all of the time - sometimes we have to learn to make delicious lemonade out of lemons.      

As usual, I found myself turning to Google to search out whatever I could find on the benefits of expressing gratitude.  During this exploration,  I found an overwhelming amount of information on the positive effects of giving thanks.  These rewards range anywhere from decreased illness to increased happiness.  One thing that was constant in everything I read was that we are more likely to reap the benefits of gratitude if we use concrete practices to express thanks, one example being a gratitude journal.   

A dear friend of mine, Linda Rae Chappell, has been using this practice for years in her Dynamic Women workshops.  (BTW I highly recommend going to one of her fantastic workshops.)  Not only does Linda talk about keeping a gratitude journal, she also has the participants practice writing about and expressing gratitude. 

SO - What should a gratitude journal look like?  If you are going to start a gratitude journal, here are some tips:
  1.  Choose a journal that works for you.  Some people like to keep an electronic journal on their computer, I like to handwrite mine.  I love my Italian leather (super soft) old world journal that ties on the side. ($34 Barnes & Noble) 
  2. Be consistent.  Whether you write in it every day or once a week, write in it at the same time of day or in conjunction with the same activity (like riding home on the train) so that it becomes part of your key habits.  I like writing in mine at the end of my day.  
  3. Write at least 3-5 things you are grateful for and explain why you are grateful.  I am extremely grateful for Southwest Airlines.  I use them for travel to see my family and their flexibility allows me to easily change my plans.    
  4. Be specific.  Instead of saying, “I am grateful for my health,” say something like, “I am grateful that I received all good results on my blood test, mammogram, etc…”  
  5. Make lemonade out of lemons.  Turn negatives into positives.  I am traveling cross-country to AZ this week with my dad to deliver a new van to our winter home.  Do I look forward to trekking across the U.S. for 2.5 days?  Of course not, but I feel so grateful to have my dad that when I look at it from that perspective, I am grateful to have the opportunity to take a cross-country trip with him.    
See how easy that is?  Don’t wait until retirement to adopt an Attitude of Gratitude.  Be happy now.  Good luck with your journals.  
#lovingretirement16

3 comments:

  1. Writing what I'm grateful for is part of my daily routine. I have also managed to make it part of my awareness as I go throughout the day. It takes practice, but my body thanks me. It so much better than physically feeling stressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a positive addition to a daily routine! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete