Thursday, September 22, 2016

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

My father and I are taking a road trip to Virginia to see my son and his wife.   We sat in his living room on the eve of our trip and discussed our busy fall schedules while multi-tasking -- my dad on his iPad and me on my MacBook.  Dad has been retired now for about 24 years.  When my parents decided to retire, my dad let my mom retire “by herself” for a couple of years.  Mom always said that she wanted to retire alone for a couple of years before Dad retired, and like me, dived right into it - mini trips with girlfriends, helped organize the church bazaar, lunch and shopping with the ladies, quilting, crafting, etc…  When my dad retired a couple of years later, they started their retirement together with trips - Europe, Canada, Alaska, New England, a few islands, they bought an RV and parked it in Arizona during the winter, then purchased a second home in Arizona and became snowbirds - until my mom got sick.

Mom and Dad were able to maintain the retired life they had dreamed of for several years after my mom’s diagnosis of Parkinson’s, but eventually, she succumbed to the illness and we lost our dear mother almost two years ago.  Although between my brother’s family and my family, we keep Dad very busy, he is still extremely restless without my mom.  This is where the planes, trains and automobiles come in.  

During our discussion about our fall schedules, my dad mentioned several times that he would like to go the house in Arizona for a couple of weeks this fall but “between all of the birthday parties, baby showers, deer hunting and holidays” he doesn’t know when he is going to have time to go.  He has two living children, four grandchildren, two great-grandchildren with two more greats on the way and his family includes him in EVERYTHING.  In fact, we call or text him immediately when something comes up so we are sure to be on his calendar.  

As I sat and listened to Dad complain that he didn’t want to just sit around the house doing nothing, but couldn’t find the time to go to Arizona because he had too many things on his schedule, I tried to make sense of what he was disgruntled about - did he have too much to do or not enough?  Hmmm…..  I finally realized that Dad was really missing Mom and that he needed to get out of the house for an extended period of time - he needs a change of scenery.  I think my dad and I are a lot alike.  The sun makes us happy.  I always said one of the best jobs in America is a weatherman in Arizona.  They get to wake up everyday and tell people how beautiful the weather is going to be.  

It was now time for me to work my magic - do what I do best - and work a schedule that will get this man not only to all of the family get-togethers, but also off to a mini vacay to sunny Arizona.  Within the next 7-8 weeks, he has a trip to Virginia, two baby showers for two great grandsons on-the-way, a birthday party for his great granddaughter, and deer hunting with my brother and nephew.  I immediately spotted a two week opening where he could take a train up for the first baby shower, fly to AZ, fly back two weeks later for the second baby shower, then take a train home.  Done!  

After booking all of the train and plane reservations, my dad marched off to bed, content that he had a full fall schedule complete with family events, sunshine and impending tee times in AZ with his buddy.  My dad is 85, soon to be 86 and his kids and grandkids compete to get on his calendar before he has other commitments.  How cool is that?  He is the coolest dad/grandfather in town!

No comments:

Post a Comment