Friday, September 16, 2016

Time To Spin

My 1st spin class was today.  Although spin has been a popular and effective form of exercise for many years, I have never tried it.  I have tried everything under the sun - yoga, Zumba, pilates, circuit, you name it, but never spin. Several friends have suggested we meet for a spin class and I always responded with, “Yes, that sounds fun.  We will do that sometime.”  I was never anxious to try it.  Why?

Six years ago, I broke both of my ankles in a fall.  Four years before that, I broke my knee in a fall.  In both situations, part of my rehab included work on a stationary bike.  Both rehabs included a lot of pain.  Since then, I have associated cycling with pain.  For this reason, spin never sounded like a very good
idea to me.

Regardless of my “fear of spin,” the activity is something I have wanted to add to my exercise repertoire specifically for the benefits it gives and to add another change-up to my routine.  I knew this fear I had was silly, especially since I don’t have a problem trying new and challenging activities.  In the past five years, I have mastered scuba, zip lining through treetop canopies in Puerto Vallarta and rappelling down waterfalls. I believe I can handle a spin class!  

This week, I decided to check on the AZ abode.  As soon as I arrived, I texted my long-time friend from college who lives nearby to let her know that I was in town so we could make plans to meet up.  My dear friend always has an idea of a fun and trendy place for us to enjoy.  She’s in great shape and is very health conscious.  I love that about her! This time, she suggested we go to a cycle class at a boutique style cycle place then to a great snack place next door.  I immediately said, “Yes, let’s do it!” 

I decided to try a cycle class at my health club beforehand so that at least I will know what’s going on before I get to the class with my friend.  As I arrived at the cycle class, I noticed a couple of people around my age or older - that’s always a good sign.  I watched as others entered and adjusted their seats - I did the same.  It was easy to follow the instructor as she directed us to adjust the resistance on the cycles and I made it through the class with great success, feeling like I got a great workout that was not over my head!!  So glad I went!

Looking forward to another class with my friend.  Wonder what my legs will feel like tomorrow? 

3 comments:

  1. So exciting. Life seems to have just begun for you! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exciting. Life seems to have just begun for you! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having the time of my life, Jorie! I suggest everyone try it! Missing all of you though!

    ReplyDelete