Friday, September 23, 2016

Take a Road Trip

When our kids were little, we took road trips out of necessity.  Air travel was rather pricey for a young family, so we purchased a nice conversion van and traveled “in style” on vacations and to out-of-town sporting events.  Although it was always exciting for the kids to pack all of their travel treasures into the van, select the VHS movies they would watch and get settled into their seats with snacks and juice boxes, by the end of the trip we certainly did not want to see the inside of the van for a while.  Fast forward years later to retirement and a list of chosen destinations to visit. 

A big fan of air travel, when I asked my dad if he wanted to travel to Virginia to see my son and his wife, and he suggested we drive, I was not completely committed to the idea of driving.  Visions of previous road trips with the kids came into my head - car sickness, flat tires, Chex mix on the floor - you know, your typical family road trip.  I had to regroup.  It’s not the same, we are grown adults.  How bad can it be?  Look at the positive side - we can take out some things for the kids and I can spend some real quality time in the car with my dad.  After all, I am retired and I can take my time getting there.  I’m in no rush.  

The drive to Virginia took us through the breathtaking Appalachian Mountains of West Virginia and the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia.  How wonderfully sweet it was to drive through such stunning scenery on an absolutely beautiful fall day in the middle of September to see my son and daughter-in-law.  My father and I chatted along the way, did a little shopping, and snapped some incredible pictures of the magnificent mountains of West Virginia and Virginia.  A year ago, a road trip in my life was defined as the drive to and from work and the scenery certainly wasn't mountain ranges.   

Now in my initial year of retirement, which I choose to call my “stop and smell the roses year,” I make a conscious effort to SLOW DOWN.  This is not easy for me.  A fast-paced lifestyle is one that is well within my comfort zone.  As a result of the slowing down, my stress level has decreased and I feel healthier.  The road trip to Virginia was a great idea.  Although I am certainly not going to make every trip a road trip, it is something I would repeat in order to see this beautiful country.  

If you have the driving stamina and the time, take a road trip once in a while. 

No comments:

Post a Comment