Friday, September 2, 2016

You Can Still Be Trendy Over 50

Embracing trendiness after you reach the age of 50 is more than just fashion.  Having a trendy style encompasses your lifestyle as well as your attire.  You can google "trendy styles for women over 50" and your laptop will present you with dozens of outfits to copy.  It's a great idea to stay current on fashion trends since they are constantly changing for women.  Obviously, we can't wear the same things we did in our youth, but we can incorporate a hint of youthful dress for an edgy, trendy look.  Also, everyone needs a fashion barometer - someone who will be brutally honest with you on your fashion choices.  My daughter is my barometer.  I once wore a long jacket with a stand up collar and a pair of black pants tucked into my boots.  She told me I looked like Hans Solo.  I never wore it again.  That happens sometimes.  Trust the opinion of someone younger who loves you and doesn't want you to go out into the world looking like a Jedi.  

Being trendy can travel beyond your attire and into your lifestyle.  I like being trendy with lifestyle accessories like my travel mug and my planner -  both from ban.dō.  I recently gifted a ban.dō planner (with accessories such as gel pens, Washi tape and giant paper clip) and a ban.dō bag (after this we're getting pizza) to a good friend of mine who is fighting cancer.  She loved them!!  Actually, my daughter was the one who turned me on to the ban.dō products.  I spotted my first planner in a boutique and she told me she had one and I should get one too.  She's pretty trendy and she always has suggestions for me - "Mom, we're going to get you a cross body purse.  You look ridiculous carrying all those things in your hands,"  "Mom, you need to get yourself some shorty boots."  


My daughter-in-law is also a good source for me.  She owns an Etsy shop and sells unique items she creates with ink (UnINKway).  My daughter-in-law created my daughter's wedding invitations and her own baby shower invitations.  I consulted her when creating the invitations for my daughter's baby shower and designing the centerpieces.  You can be trendy when planning a party, from the invitations to the decorations to the menu.  Many times I will get ideas from Pinterest, have the girls look at them and ask their opinions.  They are my unofficial trend consultants.  

As a former teacher, staying in touch with the latest trends always helped me relate to the kids and talk with them about things they were interested in.  Same goes with your own kids and grandkids.  I remember my mother was great at knowing the hottest trends when the kids were little.  She was aware of the most popular toys, slang terms, you name it.  She was able to do this by spending time with them and being a good listener.  She was truly interested in their world.  The kids loved that she was so in touch with their world. 

Remember - America's new favorite age is 50.   


No comments:

Post a Comment