Saturday, June 18, 2016

Personal Shopping

It's Father's Day weekend and I am en route via Amtrak to see my dad.  My gift for him this year includes homemade cinnamon rhubarb bread, homemade plum jam, an iTunes gift card (that he uses to buy books for his iPad), a small wallhanging for his kitchen that reads "Mamaw's Kitchen" in memory of my mother and the best gift of all- a St. Louis Cardinals wallet.  The St. Louis Cardinals wallet I purchased for him years ago suffered some damage and each time I tried to replace it with something that I considered "just as cool,"  I got the "but it's not a St. Louis Cardinals wallet" face.

Being able to take my time and really choose meaningful gifts for my family and friends is an asset of being retired that I am going to enjoy.  It is also an asset that I am in desperate need of!  Choosing the perfect gift has never been something that came easy to me and I always envied people that had that talent.  My daughter Kristina and daughter-in-law Brittany are great gift-givers.  They both have a knack for knowing the perfect gifts for their family and friends.  I have received handmade gifts from them that are beautiful.  I can tell they are made with love.  I have also received non-handmade gifts from them that were things I would definitely choose for myself.  I don't know how they do it.  It seems to come easy to them.  Not so easy for me.  I have to take time to think about it, research it and find it.

Creating handmade gifts take a lot of patience and time - two things that wear thin when you are a working mother.  Creating a gift for someone can also be very therapeutic.  I have always loved working on projects when I had the time and, of course, the energy!  I think that being on the receiving end of a handmade gift, knowing that someone took the time to create something just for you, is a very special feeling.  I try and give my children and their spouses at least one handmade gift each Christmas.  It does not go unnoticed how much they appreciate them and how much time they take really looking at them.  I think they actually look forward to the handmade gifts!

Even if baking, cooking or creating things aren't your forte, having the time to think about and shop for a personal gift is a luxury of retirement.  When I was working, it seemed like I was always running behind instead of ahead.  I don't want to be forced to find the best possible gift at the nearest possible store.  Choosing the perfect gift for someone is not an easy task.  Do you think of the gift and then try and find it or do you go out blindly shopping until you find that perfect gift?  I just purchased a ban.dō planner for myself that I love and I thought my friend Carole, who is retiring next year, might like one when she retires.  Now I have an entire year to ponder, "Will she want one or not?"  See what I mean?

Check out my daughter-in-law's Etsy store, unINKway to see beautiful handmade gifts.  I guarantee, you will love it!!  www.etsy.com/shop/unINKway





No comments:

Post a Comment