Saturday, June 4, 2016

Setting the Tone

It's my first day as a retired teacher and I thought I would set the tone.  I definitely don't want to spend my retired years sleeping, so my first rule is don't sleep past 7.  My second rule is to maintain a healthy lifestyle.  Up by 7, I made myself steel cut oatmeal then went for a workout by 8:45 AM.  (No coffee.) After an hour and a half workout, I ran some errands then ventured to the grocery store to pick up some fresh strawberries.

My third rule of retirement is to not waste time starting on my bucket list. Two bucket list items received some attention today.  I want to grow a garden (which I have) and I want to do more cooking.  In fact, my plan is to actually integrate the two.  Imagine that...growing things that I actually use in my cooking!!  My rhubarb must be very happy where it is growing because it is an extremely healthy plant.  It has been calling out to me for a couple weeks.  I took some time out today to give it some attention and put it in a pie.

I have always loved strawberry rhubarb pie.  Unfortunately, I did not grow the strawberries in my garden, but I did obtain some beautiful  strawberries from my local grocer for the pie.  After chopping up some fresh rhubarb from my garden, I created a scrumptious looking pie to give to my dear friends this evening who are taking me and my husband out to dinner to celebrate my retirement.

It's all about setting the tone!




No comments:

Post a Comment