Saturday, August 6, 2016

Card Night With Friends

My husband and I have been playing cards with the same friends for years.  I'm not sure when or how we started, but I think it's safe to say that we have been getting together for at least 15 years.  Some of our favorites include Tripoley (Hearts, Poker, Michigan Rummy), Three Thirteen (also called Pay Me, another Rummy game) and Mexican Train (Dominioes).  We meet to play about once every 4-6 weeks at either our home or the home of one of the other couples.  The customary practice for Card Night is that we start off the evening noshing on appetizers or a light dinner while engaging in interesting and funny conversation, then we play cards or a game and later have some dessert.  We like to talk about politics (we all like the same party so conversations don't get heated), we talk about what the kids are doing and four of us are teachers so education is always a big topic.  While we are playing cards, conversation gets a whole lot lighter with a lot of banter and laughter.  It's always a relaxing and fun evening.  I love Card Night.

My parents have belonged to a card group for 50 years and counting.  When my mom was sick, my dad went on hiatus from the group.  His loyalty and dedication to my mother kept him from attending his Card Night.  He could not leave her alone and he wouldn't have been able to enjoy himself knowing that she was suffering.  After she passed away, he re-joined the group.  I accompany him once in a while - we are even co-hosting a Card Night next week at his home.  Many of the members of my dad's group have changed, due to deaths or people retiring out of state.  They play Pitch, earn points throughout the evening and prizes at the end.  Once the card playing starts, things get a whole lot more serious with that group.

Card Night is always a great time to try out new recipes I find on Pinterest.  Among the new recipes I tried out during our last Card Night were Antipasto Skewers, Beer Cheese Dip with veggies and pretzels and BBQ Pineapple Meatballs.  The biggest hit of the evening was the Nutella Banana Bread that I served with Cinnamon Honey Butter.  It was amazing!  Not everything we ate was high calorie though - I always serve fresh fruit and my friend brought her amazing cucumber open-face cocktail sandwiches and delicious cracked pepper smoked salmon!  Drinks are always served, among the favorites is homemade Sangria.  We use various recipes.

 


Although it is possible that our group could make the 50 year mark (yikes!), my hope is that we are as close as my parents' card group when we get to be Octogenarians.  If we are as active and mentally acute as they are, I will be happy!

Remember - staying intellectually and socially active help us to age gracefully.  Card Night is a great activity to stay in touch with friends, try new foods and keep the mind active.

Check out my Pinterest page, "Loving Retirement," Favorite Recipes Board for the link to these recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment