Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Life Long Learning

When we retire, we almost always have a list of things we want to do, but how many of us have a list of things we want to learn?   A lot of retirees are put off by the word "learn."  Yet we are all constantly learning.  Whether it be learning how to work your new cell phone, watching the cooking channel to learn a new recipe or actually taking a class to learn a hobby, we are in a constant state of edification.  

There are dozens of ways to learn new things.  Although I don't have an aversion to sitting in on an instructional class, many cringe at the thought.  For me, it depends on what it is you want to learn.  When I started sewing, I enrolled in a couple of classes.  I felt like there would be a strong likelihood that I would need to ask questions in addition to build a strong rapport with the instructor for future brain-picking.  I was freshening up my basic sewing skills as well as learning the art of quilting so I knew that I would need to have an opportunity for discussion.  It definitely helped.  I had a great teacher and felt extremely confident creating my first projects.  


One of my favorite ways to learn something new is YouTube.  It's quite possible that people in my generation shy away from the video-sharing website.  We remember how YouTube was used when it was first introduced over 10 years ago.   A lot of YouTube videos were sensationalized or distasteful and people of our generation have little to no interest in that.  As a parent, I was always telling my young children that they weren't allowed to be on YouTube.  Now, the website contains hundreds of tutorial videos on anything and everything.  My son has learned anywhere from tying a tie to replacing a bulb in an LCD TV.  Recently, I learned how to put border and binding on a quilt via YouTube.  When I was teaching, I used to direct students to YouTube for technology tutorials.  I think retirees would be surprised at how much they can learn from the video-sharing website.  

Another way we learn is through printed media.  Have you ever tried a new golf swing or strategy you learned by reading a golf magazine?  Ever been inspired to redecorate your house based on something you read in a house decorating publication?  Every time you talk to a friend and pick their brain about something they have done that you would like to try or try something you see on a website you are learning.  

Now that I have sewing checked off my list, I am inspired to try out other potential hobbies and interests such as piano, advanced photography and home decor.  It's never too late to learn new things!  

No comments:

Post a Comment