Saturday, August 27, 2016

Let The Sunshine In!

Today I started washing my windows inside and out for the fall cleaning.  This is not going to be a post about washing windows, but about the benefits of sunshine.  I wouldn't say I suffer from SAD (seasonal affective disorder), but I can positively say that sunshine makes me feel happy.  While washing the windows on the west side of the house, I felt the warmth of the sun as it beamed through my windows later in the afternoon.  I adjusted my pleated shades to take full advantage of the natural light coming into the house.  

Sunshine can be therapeutic, not only for our PMA (positive mental attitude) but also for the health benefits of Vitamin D.  Vitamin D occurs naturally in very few foods.  Your body makes Vitamin D when the skin is exposed to the sun.  Vitamin D helps protect against Alzheimer's and brain aging, strengthens your bones and teeth, helps fight cancer, is good for losing excess fat and supports the immune system.  Additionally, check out these benefits:

  • Lowers cholesterol
  • Lowers blood pressure
  • Increases the oxygen level in your blood
  • Helps with depression
Exposure to the sun should be done slowly and in small doses.  Over exposure can lead to sunburn, skin cancer and aging of the skin so be careful not to overdo it!  For those of you (like me) who live in a state with 4 seasons, it's important to make an effort to go outside when you can and expose your skin to the sun throughout the year.  Here are some ways you can take advantage of the marvelous sunshine all year:  

  • Exercise outside like bicycling and walking.
  • Take mini trips that include outside activities like leaf peeping and beachcombing.
  • Sit outside when the sun is overhead and polish off a few chapters of whatever book you are currently reading.
  • Take a trip (or two) to a sunny place during the sunless winter.  
  • Plant a vegetable or flower garden and try gardening - start small and see how you like it.  
You can be sure that I will be taking whatever opportunity I can this winter to travel to Arizona for sunshine.  The sun re-energizes me during the sunless months, just when I need it!    

No comments:

Post a Comment