Monday, August 8, 2016

Continuing Family Traditions

My mother began a family tradition in August of 1991,  the month my daughter started kindergarten.  Each August, my children and I would meet my parents in Springfield, IL for back-to-school shopping and lunch.  The kids and I would drive from Chicago to Springfield and meet their grandparents at the mall.  Kristina and Michael would browse their favorite stores and each select their 1st Day of School outfit.  After purchasing  the outfits, Mom and Dad would take us to lunch at the Olive Garden - always soup/salad and breadsticks.  This event occurred very single August - you could count on it.  More important to the kids than the excitement of picking out their outfits for the 1st day of school was the yearly tradition of spending the day with Mamaw and Papaw.  Although our children spent time with their grandparents on a regular basis, back-to-school shopping was a special day they always looked forward to.  Starting back to school each year was always regarded as a monumental event by my mother with her children and grandchildren.  It was the day that started the countdown to returning to school in the fall - new outfit, new school supplies, new teacher, new grade, new classmates!      

After many years of this tradition and Kristina and Michael graduated college, we no longer continued with the tradition that my mother had started so many years ago.  Kristina was now a teacher instead of a student so we definitely wanted to carry on the shopping ritual,  but mom's Parkinson's had started to get worse and it was difficult for her to sustain that level of activity.  We didn't want to go without her, it was not the same.  


It's been about 6 years since we went back-to-school shopping with my mom and 19 months since she passed away.  We miss kicking off the beginning of the school year with such a favorite day for us. We miss celebrating my mom's traditions with my mom.  We miss my mom.  Today Kristina and I resumed the tradition that was so precious to my mother, to my kids and to me.  Kristina selected a few outfits that she will wear to school this year.  Lunch was at my mom's favorite restaurant, The Olive Garden, and we said a few words in memory of her.  Mom would have loved that we were resuming her tradition.  This day was really her thing.     

A great thing about retirement is that you have time to focus on the little things that still mean a lot to your family.  For me, carrying on the family traditions important to my mother is a healthy way to remember her and keep that memory of her alive.  Both my kids are expecting their first babies in January.  When their kids start school, I will take them back to school shopping for their 1st Day of School outfits.  I will make a big deal out of school and along with their parents, instill a deep respect for education and a thrilling anticipation of the 1st Day of School just like my mom did.  

I look forward to spending this precious time with my grandchildren in my retirement.  


                                      My mom with the kids and some family members.

No comments:

Post a Comment