Thursday, August 18, 2016

Things To Do On Your "Day Off"

Today I took a "day off."  Most people would say, "I thought when you were retired, every day was a day off."  For the most part it is, but everything is relative.  For a scheduled person like me, a day where there is nothing scheduled is a day off.  For me, a day off means I didn't go for a workout, I didn't meet with friends, run errands, go to a class, go to a doctor's appointment,  start or finish a project, etc...  A day off during retirement looks different for everyone.  Here are some things I did on my day off:
  • Fed the plants coffee grounds
I have been saving my K cups so that I can sprinkle the coffee grounds in my plants and on my garden.  Coffee grounds improve the nitrogen level of the soil and are good for acid-loving plants like tomatoes and some flowers.  My plants need all the help they can get.  It's not that I don't have a green thumb, it's that sometimes I get so busy that my plants get a little neglected.  
  • Worked on invitations for my daughter's baby shower.  
Of course I can't find anything online that suits me, and creativity takes a little longer for me, so this is done in "baby steps."  Get it?
  •  "Once in a while" cleaning
Pick a few things that you only need to clean once in a while.  For instance, I put the burners of my cooktop in the dishwasher, I cleaned out my refrigerator and gave my Keurig a nice cleaning.  Don't pick too many things - just a couple.  
  • Caught up on some reading.  
I know some people like to curl up with a good book on rainy days, but I like to take a few minutes on a nice sunny day and read outside while making a little bit of Vitamin D.  When it's a nice warm sunny day in Chicago, I take full advantage.  Don't forget to review your book on Goodreads when finished!  
  • Made some tea in my Teavana Perfectea Maker.  
Get a nice blend of teas (I like fruity ones) from Teavana and treat yourself once in a while.                                                                                                             
  • Made dinner for the family of a very ill friend.  
When people used to ask me what I was going to do when I retire and I responded with, "wherever God takes me," this is what I meant.  I love my days off just as much as my busy days!  


                                                                                                                       
                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment